Last updated: 13th September 2018.
1. Information We Gather
We collect and use certain personal information about you. For the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) we are a ‘controller’ of personal information.
Our website uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service which collects information for the purpose of evaluating your use of our website. Your information is anonymised and aggregated so no personal information is stored by us. We use this information to improve our website and user experience.
If you register for an account with us we also use sessional cookies. These are temporary cookies that identify and track users and which allow you to remain logged in when you navigate our website. These are deleted when you close your browser or end your session.
You can disable our cookies but this will mean that our website will not work properly.
When you sign up for an account with us we will also gather additional information:
- Information You Supply Directly:We receive and store any information you enter on our website or provide to us by other means e.g. by email. In signing up for an account we will require your name, address, email address, telephone number and date of birth.
- Other Sources:We may receive information about you from tradesmen who have carried out work for you and who have invited you to give a recommendation. Please see further below
2. Sharing Your Personal Information
We will only share your personal information in the following circumstances:
- When You Leave a recommendation:We will share your full name and postcode with the tradesperson to whom the recommendation relates.
- Third-Party Service Providers:We may appoint third party companies as data processors to perform functions on our behalf. The information shared with data processors may include your profile name, name, email address, phone number and postal address. We may use third parties for the operation and administration of our website, analysing data, providing marketing assistance, providing search results and links and providing customer services. In sharing your information with these parties we do so pursuant to our legitimate business interests. We will always have a written data processing agreement in place requiring the third party to protect your personal information and requiring the third party to only use the data for the purpose set out in the agreement.
- Legal obligations:We may disclose account and other personal information when we are required to do so to comply with the law, seek legal advice or to enforce or apply our agreements.
- With Your Consent:Save as set out above, we will only ever share your personal information when we have your express consent to do so.
We take the security of your information very seriously and have appropriate security measures in place to prevent personal information from being accidentally lost or unlawfully accessed. Your personal information will be stored on secure servers based in the EU or, if we store your personal information outside of the EU we will ensure that equivalent levels of protection to that required in the EU are in place.
It is your responsibility to ensure that you do not share your log in details and you should always sign out of your account if you are using a shared device.
4. Third party links
Our Website includes third party advertising and links to third party websites.
We do not have any control over those third parties and so if you decide to access their websites using the advertising or links provided, you should check their privacy policies to understand how they will collect and use information about you.
5. What we use your information for
Information You Give Us
You provide information when you register for an account with us, leave recommendations, or communicate with customer services. Please rest assured that we will not pass on your personal information to any tradesperson. The only time the tradesperson can access information on your profile is if they can supply your surname and address. We would only allow them access to your personal information if you have requested a quotation or made contact and the tradesperson wished to look at your reputation on Recommend and Share. The information they will be able to see is your photo (if you have uploaded one), your full name to check they have the correct person and the feedback you have received from other tradespeople.
Automatically Collected Information
Please see the above section on cookies.
Information From Other Sources
We will only use information provided by a third party tradesperson to send you a link to leave a recommendation and it will not be stored by us. We will only send you a link if we have confirmation from the tradesman providing the information that they have your consent to share this personal information with us.
6. How long your personal information will be kept
We will keep your personal information whilst you have an account with us and for only as long as necessary afterwards to comply with any legal or tax reasons or as is necessary and proportionate to fulfil our legitimate interests e.g. to prevent duplicate or unverified accounts being created.
7. Your Rights
You have a number of important rights:
- access to your personal information
- you can require us to correct any mistakes in your information which we hold
- you can require the deletion of your personal information in certain cases
- object at any time to our processing of your personal information for direct marketing
- otherwise restrict our processing of your personal information in certain cases
If you would like to exercise any of those rights, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
8. Your right of complaint
If you have any concerns please contact us in the first instance and we will do our best to resolve these concerns.
If you are still unhappy you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office whose details can be found at www.ico.org.uk